P.X. Farms has a dedicated team of highly skilled individuals working with our clients to deliver tailored solutions based in the Estate Office at Scotland Farm, in the yards and fields, and out on the roads.
Estate Office Team
James Peck, Managing Director
The Peck Family have farmed at Scotland Farm since 1950. James developed a passion for farming at an early age growing up on the family estate. Working on the farm in school holidays solidified this passion and provided a clear outline for his path of further education. On returning to the family farm to apply these skills he identified an opportunity and established P.X. Farms in 2003 to expand his operations and take on additional land. The business has grown and diversified over the last 14 years as a result of his vision and enthusiasm. He has continued his professional development over this period.
His qualifications and achievements to date include:
- National Diploma in Farm Mechanisation – 1993 – 1996
- Higher National Diploma in Crop Management – 1996 – 1998
- Practical land based qualifications
- Farmers Weekly Young Farmer of the Year 2006
- Nuffield Scholar 2010
- Liveryman of Worshipful Company of Farmers 2012 and granted Freedom of City of London
- Worshipful Company of Farmers Advanced Course in Agricultural Business Management 2014
- RaboBank Global Farmers Masterclass 2014
- Member of Farmers Club
- Chairman of the Henman Brooks Committee at the Worshipful Company of Farmers
- Court Assistant of Worshipful Company of Farmers
James takes personal responsibility for all our farming agreements.
Melanie Robinson MAAT MIAgSA, Company Secretary
Melanie has a background in financial services from her 19 years with the Royal Bank of Scotland Group which focused on Compliance, Service Quality and Regulatory Management. A registered Licensed Accountant with the Association of Accounting Technicians and Member of The Institute of Agricultural Secretaries and Administrators, Melanie has been part of the business since 2003. She brings these skills to P.X. Farms and is responsible for:
- Farming operations record keeping
- Cross Compliance
- Management of Stewardship agreements
- Management accounts and budgeting for contract farming agreements and farm business tenancies
- Bulk purchasing of all farm inputs
- Farm Assurance Standards including Red Tractor and Target
- Management of British Sugar quota
Ailis Macrae, Office and Finance Manager
After training in the banking industry, Ailis developed her range of operational skills working in the high-tech incubator sector developing robust systems and processes for all areas of finance and administration. Joining the P.X. team in June 2008, Ailis has adapted these skills to fit into an agribusiness environment. She is responsible for:
- Administration including HR and Logistics
- PA to James Peck
Marit completed a GNVQ in Business Studies at Long Road Sixth Form College in Cambridge, and then went on to work as an Accounts Assistant for an automotive parts company in Cambridge. After the birth of her daughter, she returned to work part time as an Accounts Assistant for a heating oil brokers.
Joining PX Farms in April 2019 as a Data Entry Assistant, Marit is working in the Finance department for Ailis processing the Haulage invoices and inputting purchase ledger invoices.
Nick Durkan, Transport Planner
Nick has a background in agriculture and haulage, having both worked on farms and also been an owner driver of his own Volvo lorry in the past. Joining the team in 2015 as the Transport Planner he has helped develop the scope and efficiency of the P.X. Haulage fleet. He is responsible for:
- Route logistics and planning for 12 lorries and their drivers
- Management of Transport Customers
- Ensuring high standards across the fleet
Background in Agriculture and haulage.
After graduating from Seale-Hayne College of Agriculture, Veronica started her transport career at Wincanton Chilled Distribution then moved to Banks of Sandy (now Frontier) as Assistant Transport Manager.
Following a career break when my children were little she then worked for Grant Thornton LLP in the Agricultural Accounts department where she gained her MAAT qualification.
In recent years she has been self employed in accountancy in the manufacturing industry. In March 2019, Veronica joined the P.X. team.
She works mainly part time in the Transport Office but full time when providing cover for Nick running the fleet in his absence.
- Assisting Nick with the day to day running of the haulage department
- Calculating and monitoring the main performance indicators of the fleet
- Tachograph compliance
- Vehicle defects
David has a firm background in agriculture, having been born and raised on a sheep farm in rural Wales. In 2013 he graduated from Durham University with an BSc in Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, specialising in plant physiology and carrying out a placement year in the Farmland Ecology Unit at the Game & Wildlife Conservation Trust. Before joining the team at P.X. Farms, David was the Laboratory Manager for Biochemistry and Grain Quality at NIAB where he was responsible for grain quality testing on behalf of plant breeders and variety/agronomy trial managers. David has an in depth knowledge of cereal, oilseed and pulse seeds and is an ISTA qualified seed analyst.
David joined the P.X. Farms team in February 2019 and is responsible for:
- Testing and storage of grain in our 82700 tonne (and growing) grain store facility.
- Liaising with merchants, customers and haulage companies to control the intake and release of stock
- Running the P.X. Farms Grain Hospital
Jacquin Seymour, Accounts
Jacquin works with the P.X. Farms team on part time to provide essential support in the Haulage team. She is responsible for:
- Haulage invoicing